The holidays can be a great time of year, filled with family, fun and relaxation. But everyone's journey is different, and it might feel like a challenge to stay sober over the holidays – especially if recovery is new to you.
This year, fill your calendar with things that will strengthen your recovery and will give you memories to last a lifetime. Here are a few ideas:
Sober Fun in Rochester, MN
For our clients, alumni and other residents of Rochester, here are a few ideas for sober fun this Holiday season:
- Take a trolley tour. Check out the Jolly Trolley Holiday Lights Tour and check out the beauty our community has to offer and take a ride on a heated trolley.
- Head out of town. Check out Hollidazzle at Oxbow Park in Byron. Just a short drive to see some beautiful holiday lights!
- Take a walking tour. Both Assisi Heights and the Mayowood Mansion have beautiful holiday walking tours. Try it out with your family, a few friends, or go solo!
- Go to the farmer's market. Think the farmer's market is just for the summer months? Think again! Check out the indoor farmer's market at Graham Park.
- Try an escape challenge. There are a few escape rooms in Rochester…you just need to bring a couple of friends and your A-game! Check out Med City Escape, Escape Challenge or Unraveled Escape Room.
- Embrace your inner child. Try Archery Addiction or laser tag at Bowlocity.
- Listen to some music. Check out the Mother Banjo & Ben Cook-Feltz Holiday Show on December 22nd at the Jive Mill.
- Go to a meeting. A meeting is always a good idea to strengthen your sober support over the Holidays. Check out the list of AA meetings here, and NA meetings here.
A full list of Rochester events can be found here.
Sober Fun in Winona, MN
For our clients, alumni and other residents of Winona, check out these sober activities that will get you in the Holiday spirit.
- Help solve a mystery. Furniture has been disappearing from the state capitol since earlier this year. Join the Cass Gilbert Society at the Winona Public Library on December 19th!
- Take a trolley tour. Check out the lights all around Winona with the Trester Trolley Tour
- Listen to live music. Check out a new band at the Trempealeau Hotel in Winona, like the Mayer Brothers Band on December 22nd.
- Check out a museum. Like the Minnesota Marine Art Museum. They have exhibits ranging from nature photography to the history of fishing.
- Go to a meeting. You can find meetings in Winona by checking the AA meeting list here and the NA meeting list here.
A full list of Winona events can be found here.
Sober Fun in Red Wing, MN
For our clients, alumni and other residents of Red Wing, these sober fun activities will keep you busy while adding some Holiday cheer to your day:
- Take a history lunch break. Head over to the Goodhue County History Center on December 20th to learn how Minnesotans celebrated Christmas in the 19th century.
- Check out the Winter Farmer's Market. Located at Sargent's in Red Wing, grab some fresh produce and support your local community. Better yet? Look up a few recipes to try this Christmas and start buying your ingredients fresh at the market.
- Dress up for a play. Check out All Is Calm: The Christmas Truce of 1914 at Sheldon Theatre on December 22nd.
- Go to a meeting. You can find meetings in Red Wing by checking the AA meeting list here and the NA meeting list here.
A full list of Red Wing events can be found here.
You don’t need a community calendar to find fun sober activities. Get creative and try a few of the ideas below. Better yet? Grab a sober friend or two and make it an event you'll all enjoy!
- Go ice skating
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Go sledding
- Try ice fishing
- Go geocaching
- Spend time volunteering
- Hit a meeting
- Plan a sober movie night
- Plan a sober game night
- Go to the movies
- Try a yoga class
Have more ideas for sober fun this holiday season? This list is not final! Whether you have a unique idea or know of something happening in your community, let us know so we can add to the list! Contact us here.